Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Lime Chicken with rice

This recipe has been a favorite since I worked at this group home and was able to cook from a 200 calorie entree cookbook by Betty Crocker. I love to use this for enchiladas, nachos, or just by itself with toppings that you would put on enchiladas or nachos. We made it last night and I was all out of rice so I used quinoa and I think it was even better and tricked us into thinking I had more chicken then usual (which I didn't).

Ingredients:

  • 1 package (1 pound 4 ounces) chicken thighs (I use 3 or 4 thighs depending on the size and I buy the boneless skinless but you can buy bone in either way it falls apart after 8 hours)
  • 1/4 fresh lime juice (1-2 limes)
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (reduced sodium is great)
  • 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves (we use ground thyme and it works just as well, just whatever you have)
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 cup uncooked instant rice (or like I said quinoa)
  • chopped fresh parsley, if desired
Directions:
  1. Place chicken (frozen or thawed in slow cooker and add remaining ingredients except rice and parsley. 
  2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours. During last 15 minutes of cooking stir in rice (30 minutes if using quinoa).
  3. The recipe says to remove the chicken and spoon rice onto a plate then add the chicken and top with parsley. I have found the chicken will just shred itself and mix with the rice and just be wonderful for enchilada fillings like I said. 
I hope you enjoy this one as much as we do!


No comments:

Post a Comment